Organized by The Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO
Endorsed by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
of Japan, Japanese National Commission for UNESCO, Japan Broadcasting Corporation, Nikkei Inc., Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education
As today’s young people are crucial for the shaping of our future, it is
imperative that they are enabled to develop to their full potential. UNESCO’s
objective is to help empower young people, reaching out to them, responding to
their expectations and ideas, and fostering useful and long-lasting skills.
This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy,
imagination and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace
and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the
young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the
THEME: “MY STORY OF INSPIRATION”
Many people experience inner change that motivates them to create a better
world. Please share your story of inspiration that has affected your life and changed you to make a change in the world.
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June
30, 2011) in one of the following age categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14)
b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
2. Essays must be 800 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or
1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed.
3. Essays must have a cover page indicating:
(1) category (Children or Youth) (2) essay title (3) your name (4) address
(5) phone number (6) e-mail (7) nationality (8) age as of June 30, 2011
(9) gender (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count.
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class
or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names and the name and contact
information of the submitting teacher or director.
***Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
4. Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online.
***IMPORTANT: To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page at www.goipeace.or.jp and follow the required steps.
5. Essays must be original and unpublished.
6. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
7. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
DEADLINE: Entries must be received by June 30, 2011.
AWARD: The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth
1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$1,200) … 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$600) … 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan
scheduled for November 2011. (Travel expenses will be covered by the
** All prize winners will be announced in November 2011 on the Goi Peace
Foundation web site (www.goipeace. or.jp) and UNESCO web site
(www.unesco. org/youth) .
PLEASE SEND YOUR ENTRIES TO: International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
OR Send online